Sunday, March 10, 2013

Quinoa Taco Salad






Quinoa is a week night staple at this joint. It's healthy, versatile, and easy - I make an entire box on Sunday and use it for dinners throughout the week. It's a bland grain, so to keep it from getting boring I amp up the spice. Here, it served as a perfect canvas for mexican spices. The color is beautiful, and the textures and flavors were perfect together. And it's boyfriend approved.

Quinoa Taco Salad

Ingredients
Quinoa
Ground beef or turkey
1 packet of taco seasoning
4 ears of fresh corn
1 can of black beans, rinsed
1/2 yellow onion, chopped
1/2 green pepper, chopped
2 tablespoons olive oil
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup arugula 
8 cherry tomatoes, halved
1 avocado, cubed
Salsa
Reduced fat sour cream

Directions
1) Prepare quinoa according to package directions.
2) Cook corn lightly. Use a knife to cut it off the cob.
3) Saute green pepper, onion, garlic in olive oil.
4) Brown meat. Drain. Add in taco seasoning. 
5) Assemble. Quinoa, Corn, Beans, Peppers and Onions, Arugula, Salsa, Cherry Tomatoes, Avocado, Sour Cream. 

Enjoy. xo. 


4 comments:

  1. Oh yum this looks good! I've been getting curious about using quinoa in different ways because there's a new restaurant in Chicago called Protein Bar where they use quinoa in pasta bowls, burritos, and lots of other places I wouldn't expect it.

    Kristina

    Kristina does the Internets

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kristina, I eat at Protein Bar frequently here in DC! I love their quinoa bowls and their vegan salad. Highly recommend it!

      Delete
  2. Yum! I know what I'm having for lunch.

    xoxo,
    Chelsea & The City
    Be sure to check out my Stella & Dot trunk show + giveaway!

    ReplyDelete